What You'll Learn
Design thinking offers an incredibly powerful set of tools for developing innovative products and experiences. But succeeding beyond initial ideas and within the complexities of an existing business environment can be a significant challenge.
In this hands-on workshop, you will confront a sequence of real-world business scenarios that will challenge you to progress from finding the right idea, to getting the idea right, to building the buy-in you’ll need to drive it through your organization and out into the world.
Moving beyond the basics of Design Thinking, this advanced offering will enable you to bring relevant business ideas closer to implementation by selecting and designing varied experimental methods and then iterating on your ideas. You’ll also practice collaborating with stakeholders in a real business setting, “selling in” the process to colleagues, and overcoming real organizational barriers.
We encourage you to bring to this unique program your own ideas or business opportunities, as well as some of the business challenges you face. We will quickly roll up our sleeves and focus on real-world techniques and applications.
- Build on your fundamental understanding of Design Thinking through a series of project-based, hands-on activities framed by real-world scenarios
- Refine and expand the skills, tools, and mindsets in your Design Thinking kit, particularly around testing ideas and bringing them to life
- Learn how to navigate the challenges posed by working with teams and within the constraints of real companies
- Gain practical know-how for bringing Design Thinking into your organization and overcoming predictable barriers to success
- Earn a digital Certificate of Participation from the Harvard Division of Continuing Education
- Practicing a robust test-and-learn process for exploring and validating new ideas
- Identifying and mapping advanced design tools and techniques onto the right situation to drive innovation
- Synthesizing and communicating insights to drive evidence-based decision making and corporate buy-in
- Identifying and navigating through organizational barriers to support and accelerate Design Thinking
- Working effectively on teams to produce the best design result
Who Should Enroll
Managers and team leaders with 1-2 years working experience with Design Thinking who are ready to bring Design Thinking more deeply into their organizations and implement real-world, in-market experimentation.
Participants should be familiar with the basics of Design Thinking. This workshop will not review basic concepts; however, pre-readings will offer participants a chance to refresh their understanding. We recommend that participants seeking to better understand basic design thinking concepts consider enrolling in Design Thinking: Creating Better Customer Experiences.
Dan Coleman, Ph.D., has spent his career at the intersection design and education. He has developed strategy for Fortune 500 companies, played leadership roles at non-profits, for-profits, schools and universities, and taught a range of…